View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 8:05 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Aha, I've figured out why none of the bikesharing websites list Vallocycle, and why I didn't know about it: It's not really bikesharing. It's bike rental.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome program and is probably perfect for a town like Montevallo. I am not criticizing it when I say it isn't bikesharing. I'm just saying it's a different animal than the systems my original list was looking at.
Thanks for clarifying. I think that since the whole idea is quite foreign to the state of Alabama, bike share and bike rental seem like exactly the same thing. I think that systems similar to ValloCycle are pretty common; the University of Alabama has Bama Bikes. Bama Bikes works by students paying a certain fee per semester, and throughout that semester they have access to any available BB bikes throughout campus. From what I've heard, it's pretty similar to the system that covers the city of Montevallo.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State