View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 11:34 PM

It's funny, though. While we all hope and (dare I say) pray that what gets built there is truly *iconic*, including people with clout in this regard such as Amanda Burden, it is in fact people just like her who ultimately cast the final verdict on the size and scope of an *iconic* (my stress) structure worthy of this Town.

No one here needs reminding that this same person executed a gratuitous hatchet-job on Tower Verre because it was both "too tall for the area" and "too much of a perceived threat to ESB's dominance on the skyline"...laughers that pass for rationales both.

I'm certain that her influence here won't be anywhere near as obnoxious; but I still have concerns as to how many City employees in positions of this sort of decision-making truly understand the concept of "iconicism"--for lack of a proper term--and how to apply it in a way that will make folks like you and me gasp in astonishment at the awesomeness of what can be...but only if it's simply allowed to happen. No red tape; no empty-headed NIMBY monkeyshines.

This area of Manhattan will IMO run neck and neck with the West Side for years to come as to the sheer ambition that truly bold designers and planners will put on exhibition.

Last edited by JayPro; Dec 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM.