View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 4:25 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
People who choose to live in suburban locations do so for any number of reasons, and I cannot stand that you are so judgmental. It is not as if these are evil people.

Some things that people consider appealing about life in the suburbs compared to life in the city:
- home prices tend to be less expensive
- suburbs are quieter
- homes tend to have front yards and backyards and driveways
- homes tend to be new or newer than in the city
- suburbs tend to be closer to nature/ green space
- there are less bums in the suburbs

Normally I wouldn't reply to something so hilarious, but I feel I must on this one.
I don't know how to insert comments like others, so I'll respond to each of your points in order below:

1. I would hope it's less expensive to live in a house built in a week of extra thick cardboard.
2. Really?? I know people in the Meadowlands, Upper James area. Non-stop traffic, honking, brake squealing and cars speeding. It's horrible.
3. Do you actually have evidence that people in these areas sit inside and look at their front yards and backyards?? Cause nobody is ever out using them.
4. And in 50 years once they've been torn (or blown) down and replaced again, they'll still be newer than the 150-200 year old homes in the city.
5. What suburb are you in?? I live downtown and am a 5 minute bike ride to the escarpment, Cootes Paradise, West Harbour and Dundas Valley entrance trails. Also, area parks - Victoria Park, Dundurn and HAAA are all nearby. Add Valley Inn Road trail and RBG to the list. I spent most of my childhood in the Upp. Wentworth/Rymal area. A big empty patch of grass they called a park was it. Nothing for miles.
6. Actually there are way more bums in suburbs. As one small example, yesterday I helped push 7 cars out of the streets while walking my neighbourhood in the storm. Others came out and helped, neighbours played. Our kids were outside ALL day playing in the snow with neighbourhood kids. A friend of mine near Upp Wellington spent an hour pushing his car home in the snow. He passed 9 men shoveling or snow blowing their driveways and not one offered help. A couple actually got mad when his car got stuck in front of their place. I've got story after story I could share. I too, have friends who grew up on the Mountain and after 2 months living in their new place downtown were shocked at how friendly people are. They would say to me "we're only ten minutes from where we lived our entire lives on the Mountain, yet it's like a different world".
Yep, there's more than enough bums in the burbs.