View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
1961 - Above the Sunset Strip. (Bottom left corner would have been 8844 Sunset Boulevard (Jerry's; Classic Cat; Tower Video)
This area was also where Bublichki's Russian Cafe was located. They had the address 8846 Sunset Blvd. I don't know when it closed, but it was there at least from 1938, where it's listed in a guide, and I've seen a photo dated 1949, so into the early 50's? I hadn't heard of Jerry's before.

The Jerry Lewis Club opened in 1959 and closed in 1964. Another source says Jerry's opened in 1961 and closed in the mid-60's. (The news item below was not dated.)

http://www.neatorama.com/2014/07/03/...aurant-Owners/

Alison Martino's blogspot

Someone comparing Jerry Lewis's restaurant with Dean Martin's said, "Dino's suggested a classy evening of good food and wine, whereas Jerry's implied an evening of food thrown at you by loud waiters."

Sometime after that it became the Classic Cat Strip Club. This 1974 photo shows the place at the bottom left.

You can see a recreation of The Classic Cat in the movie AUTO FOCUS. Also noted is that the place itself can be seen in the 70's film "Zero In and Scream" and in the 1973 film "The Outside Man" mentioned previously on NLA.

In the direct center of this photo is a neon sign for "Filthy McNasty's" which is now where the Viper Room is located.

University Stereo came after the Classic Cat and then Tower Video.

Tower Video closed and has looked like this...

...until currently where that area has been demolished and looks like the area in Godzilla's post again.