View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:58 AM
Hong Kong

On this day - Dec 23 in ...

2013 - Hoi An, Vietnam
Hoi An was once a bustling port where Chinese, Japanese, and European influences can still be felt. The Chinese community built a number of worship and assembly buildings around the old town. This one was for the Fujianese diaspora and its history dates from the late 17th century. Visiting these sights is easy with a day ticket that allows you to pick 5 from a long list to enter.

2015 - Würzburg, Germany
I came to this large town at the northern end of the Romantic Road for the Christmas market that lights up at night. However, my daytime itinerary was still packed exploring churches, trams, and the castle.

2018 - Xingyi, Guizhou
Guizhou is famous for karst peaks, but they are far less frequented by international tourists as opposed to nearby Guilin. The tourist infrastructure has vastly improved with better highways, huge bridges across mountains and canyons, but the province is still quite poor. That meant less crowds and a better chance to appreciate nature without the rest of humanity surrounding me.