View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:22 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmc84 View Post
I think a lot of the commentary here on WFH impacts on commercial RE downtown miss the mark. The decisions going forward will not be binary (i.e. in the office 5 days per week OR WFH 5 days per week).

My company has at least 800 employees across the Denver metro (Boulder, Denver, and Tech Center area). We've all been WFH since March and our company has been very transparent about their plans post-COVID. Across the entire company we are being allowed to determine our own schedules once we return to the office - the vast majority of employees selected to work in the office 3 days per week or less.

The solution is that anyone working in-office 4 or 5 days per week will be guaranteed a desk, while anyone in the office 3 days per week or less will sit at open, non-assigned desks. This will allow us to significantly reduce the amount of square footage we need in the office. Multiply this across dozens/hundreds of companies and it's hard to see how that won't impact the demand for commercial real estate, at least in the short to medium term.
We are having the same discussions. I give it 6 months before companies realize that full-time WFH, and the routines that engenders, will not last or be the same as 3 days in-office, 2 days WFH. That's a four day weekend. People want that so they can do their damn laundry and still go to the mountains. I predict verifiable 30% loss in productivity once we transition from all-WFH to the-worst-of-both-worlds. It won't last.