View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 2:33 PM

Shubenacadie, NS:

From the Herald today:

Quote:
Shubenacadie development breaks ground

By MARY ELLEN MacINTYRE Truro Bureau
Thu. Nov 6 - 4:47 AM
SHUBENACADIE — If a major residential development goes ahead as planned, this rural area could become Halifax’s newest bedroom community.

The development has the potential to more than double the number of homes in Shubenacadie within 15 years.

"I’ve lived here for years and I travel to Halifax for work," said developer Bruce Collins, who is also manager of the Nova Scotia Construction Association.

"With the double highway straight into Burnside, I get there quicker than I did when I actually lived in Halifax."

Ground has been broken on the three-phase project known as Heights at Shubenacadie. Partnering with Mr. Collins are Agate Development Ltd. and Summit Rock Developments.

Aside from the quick commute, Mr. Collins figures what attracted him to the area will have the same impact on others.

"People are looking to bring their families up in an area that is more peaceful, safer, with the clean air of the country."

Views of the meandering Shubenacadie River and farmers’ fields are enticing to those weary of cityscapes, he said. "It’s a 394-acre property and we’re offering 500 equivalent lots."

The group of developers first considered offering big lots for sale because the costs associated with development are huge.

"You need millions of dollars in up-front money and you need all sorts of approvals from government," he said.

The development includes three components: single-family homes, an apartment complex for active seniors and residences for retired people over 55 who want to downsize. There are also plans for an acute care facility.

There will also be a small commercial area, walking paths, a conservation area developed with Ducks Unlimited and a large play area for children.

Mr. Collins said he expects many seniors who have lived in Shubenacadie and surrounding areas all their lives will welcome an option like Heights at Shubenacadie.

"We’re developing 80 lots in the first phase and so far they’ve been selling very well to developers," he said.
Development's website: Shubenacadie Heights