View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 4:38 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Wharton talks about Beale Street expansion
http://www.wmctv.com/story/23669471/...reet-expansion

Quote:
(WMC-TV) - Memphis Mayor A C Wharton says the city is working on plans to expand the entertainment portion of Beale Street all the way to the Mississippi River.

Wharton tells Action News 5 the final legal obstacle regarding Handy Park has been finalized, and the city of Memphis will have control of the street within two months. Once in control, Wharton says negotiating with business interests and expanding Beale Street will become a reality.

"Beale Street may be the most iconic now, but let me tell you: You ain't seen nothing yet," Wharton said.
Quote:
"It would be nice to get everything really going well down there and then going down to the river, but however it works more business down here makes it better for us," said Agee.

Mayor Wharton says Beale street already has plenty to offer, but he adds that there is untapped potential.

"The most active part of Beale Street ought to be down there where historic Beale Street meets the mighty Mississippi River," he said. "That's our Broadway. That's our Times Square. And we're going to take it there."
Quote:
Mayor Wharton says he will make a presentation to the city council on Tuesday to explain how the legal battle has been finalized.
I'll already be there sitting through that so I'm looking forward to what he has to say.

I honestly think it would probably be better to develop Beale further east; that would also allow or jump start some development in the South of Forum area (would have helped a lot if the hotel down there would have been built). We've mentioned it numerous times that Beale Street Landing is going to hurt until there's more of a pedestrian connect to Beale...this is the plan.

I don't have anything against expanding Beale at all. This will hopefully bring people and money downtown, but I think as far as the downtown economy is concerned there should be more of a push toward residential development versus entertainment development. A constant presence of residents will demand more retail, entertainment, etc. I'm afraid an extension of Beale is only going to transfer the same amount of people from one particular bar to other forcing certain places out of business leaving Beale snaggle toothed.