View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2012, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
I'm anxious to see how much lower Southwest's fares will be priced here, and over all activity here by Southwest due to a number of factors, including the fact that AirTran only operated 4 flights from Memphis a day, Nashville is a target city for Southwest and they have a large operation there, and the fact that Delta already has such a large presence in Memphis. Those facts just lead me to believe that Southwest won't have a very large presence here and that fares won't drop much lower.
I couldn't say how much it will affect pricing, but I'd expect much more than 4 dailies to ATL. To compete with Delta @ MEM, Southwest will have to hit the ground running in a big way. Also, they wouldn't continue this market for 4 dailies, they would've pulled out altogether. Although, a lot of flights could go thru Nashville & Little Rock, possible. Larry Cox & Arnold Perl say talks have been very interesting, but refuse to comment. If they do come into MEM in a big way, O&D traffic in Nashville & Little Rock will get hammered while it surges @ MEM. Southwest knows there is a huge mass of business & leisure travelers who are salivating over this and I've even heard rumors that they might take over an entire concourse that Delta just let the leases run out on. I believe concourse "C". No other carrier has had that chance and the time is right for both Memphis & Southwest.