View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2020, 1:49 AM
Aimless Wanderer

My favourite local news station in Toronto is the CBC Toronto News on CBLT channel 5. It's an all around class act much like the CBC National Network Newscast.

I used to prefer CITY CityPulse news on CityTV channel 57, but they got bought out and became too corporate and lost that cool, edgy thing they used to have going on. Now their newscast is pretty standard fare and they go by CityNews.

CFTO Toronto News on CTV channel 9 is the best one for big skyline backgrounds and cool helicopter shots flying over the downtown.

CIII Global News Toronto on channel 41 is solid, but I rarely tune in these days.

CP24 is Toronto's around the clock cable news station, and it's the trashiest, most headline baiting, "BREAKING NEWS!!", freakshow of a station with reporters shoving microphones in people's faces and shouting stupid questions at them, and always trying to get a scoop over the competition (though they're owned by CTV).

CHCH channel 11 is a Hamilton independent station that can be seen over the air in Toronto and has local Hamilton news but also covers some newsworthy things happening in Toronto.

CJMT channel 40 and CFMT channel 47 are two multilingual stations with local newscasts in Cantonese, Mandarin and Italian under the moniker of Omni News.

I was just wondering lately about what fair sized cities don't have any local news stations because they're too close to another bigger city and are part of their media market?

Hamilton doesn't have any local news on any of the Canadian national networks since it's part of the Toronto media market, so their local independent station fills that void.

I'm guessing there must be quite a few sizeable American cities without any locally based newscasts whatsoever?