View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 5:56 AM

I grew up on West 58th Street near Broadway, from 1948 to when I left in 1966. I don't remember that gun shop, or that building, on the SE corner - a much older building, Broadway Slauson Furniture Company, stood on that site, which is now an empty lot. Also, the sidewalks there are not as wide as in the picture. On the NE corner is an apartment building which still stands, and Marty's Bar was on the NW corner, which is now an empty lot. You Noir fans would have loved Marty's; my late mom told me - when I was an adult - that there was gambling in the back. The lots are bare because the buildings were burned in the '65 or '92 riots.

The building pictured on the SW corner used to house a cake decorating supplies manufacturer/distributor. The 7 Street car, and later the 7 Bus used to stop in front. Paperboys - actually men - sold the Herald-Express and Mirror in the street to the Southbound commuters at evening rush hour. There also was a semaphore traffic signal at that corner in the early 'to mid 50s.

Someday I will post some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Martin's Guns, 5816 S. Broadway, Los Angeles CA

http://memoriastoica.tumblr.com/tagg...ngeles+history

I drove the google-mobile down Broadway to see what the gun shop looks like today.
Alas I couldn't find the gun shop, but while I was in the area I noticed this interesting building on the nw corner of S. Broadway and W. Slauson Ave.

GSV

Had we seen this building on NLA?

__