View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 5:18 AM

Well, if that's you in 1954 (cool photo), I'd be the kid in the red shirt at center trying to pan in 1962. It's not me but I distinctly remember noticing the attendant's "slight 'o hand" as he placed a measured pinch of gold flakes into my pan while he was "helping" me and then deftly poured the remaining contents and gold into a glass vile as pictured.

My little bottle of gold is now up about and an ounce and and half of color after having made many multiple mining/camping trips up the San Gabriel river and sorted through tons of rock, sand and gravel. I figure it's worth has just about covered the Adventure Pass fees I paid. Maybe someday I'd like to have it melted down, refined and made into something. That would make more sense of it. ... but I enjoyed it.

I read-tell that the house of mystery was dissembled and relocated to Calico Ghost Town. I'm not sure if that's accurate but that was also one my stronger memories of Knotts. I've lived in L.A. since 1979, transplanted a long way around from Visalia CA and I've never re-visited Knott's because everything advertised about it leads me to believe that it's now something else entirely. It's all about the rides.
Have I been missing something? I always preferred Disneyland anyhow and I did and do enjoy the rides but more than anything else, I enjoyed the historical, literary and futuristic fantasy environment.
Look at you on that horse! It doesn't get any better than that for a city kid from our generation. IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
You can actually ''pan for gold'' at Knott's. I searched around on the google memories machine and found these.
Is Bruce somewhere in this photo? I think so.

KBF Inc.
Here I am at Knott's... probably around 1954. How did I ever get up there? It might be Easter, as I'm wearing a suit.

files

Last edited by fhammon; Mar 9, 2015 at 8:06 AM.