Thread: Ukraine
View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 1:47 PM
Doc Love 3.0

Kyiv is one of the great ancient cities of Eastern Europe it’s heartbreaking how much the city and people of Ukraine lost in the 20th century in terms of lives and national heritage. There’s great and powerful history in this city despite what has been lost during repeated invasions and occupations. It’s in the background of the more realpolitik dimensions of the war going on today.

There’s still a few bit and pieces of ancient history dating back to Kievan Rus circa 10th-12th century and beautiful historic architecture from the city’s rich cultural heritage. The city has struggled to shake off the turmoil of the past rebuilding some of what’s been lost and trying to find its own identity. It’s heartening to see despite all the horror of war a new generation of young leaders fighting for a democracy and creating new tradition to be proud of in a country that lacked modern national hero’s not tainted by the bloody past.

Peace can’t come soon enough but I hope it’s a real peace this time. Not one that will leave the country vulnerable with hostile armies pointed at its heartland holding key industries and regions. Yet up to the people to decide how much they are willing to sacrifice to liberate their occupied territories. Though I get the impression for now at least that it has to be victory or this repeated all over again in 10 or 20 years.

There’s so much potential Ukraine is a beautiful country from the high alpine peaks of the Carpathian’s in the west to the subtropical fringe of the far south on the Black Sea. Odesa, Liviv & Kyiv are all beautiful places though corruption and war has taken its toll on the country I’d love to visit the homeland of my grandfathers parents when peace comes.