View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
You are correct, sir. The night I arrived in Los Angeles for the first time (Summer, 1977), I rented a car and drove to Sunset Beach to stay with a friend. He told me to look for the water tower house as a landmark. It was my introduction to wacky Southern Cal architecture.
Going a bit afield to show it (minutely) in the distance from one of my favorite corners, Broadway and PCH in Surfside (the water tower house is the tiny speck indicated by the red arrows)... I like this corner because it has competing figures on the buildings. Capt. Jack's has the captain himself peering over the intersection, while across the street is a pirate (I'll leave it to your imagination how that relates to the business beneath, Antiques of the Sea); and it used to be that a third corner housed a place called Harpoon Harry's, which had a statue of HH himself, evidently aiming his harpoon at Capt. Jack (alas that it's no longer there). The fourth corner had several little businesses, one of them a massage parlor, making me wish that they too had erected a statue on their building. But the intersection's still playfully noir, in beach town mode . . .