View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
New Planning Commission presentation up for 8/25. Three items for this week - the last of which is pretty substantial.

1. Historic nomination of the Herron Hill Pumping Station. We covered this when it was before the HRC a few months back. I'm still not sure this is preservation is warranted. The building is very remuddled in its present state, missing basically all of its windows. It's also set quite far back from Centre, totally out of context with One on Centre across the street. This honestly feels like the selective use of historic designation to block future development.

2. Historic nomination of the Gallagher-Kieffer House. This is somewhat more warranted from the perspective of historical integrity, as its a fine single-family home built in the shingle style, which is rare in Pittsburgh. Once again though, it's in a very busy part of North Oakland (wedged between an apartment building and a church parking lot) and it feels like this is being nominated in order to block the possibility of a larger-scale structure being eventually built on the block.

3. The substantive project for next week is a new building at 1501 Penn. Yes, the proposed tower replacing the Wholey warehouse is not only not dead, but going before the Planning Commission. Despite Peduto's comments, it doesn't seem like the actual design has changed all that much. Looks like the project has met all the zoning requirments for the GT-B zoning district. I have to say I'm not a fan of the big parking garage, but it's no worse than the existing cold-storage building, I suppose. My bigger issue with the design though is the choice to essentially make Smallman the "front door" with retail, and to turn Penn Avenue into largely the service entrance (complete with a truck loading dock). I would strongly prefer this is pushed onto 16th Street.
First, thanks for taking the time to produce these informative and easy-to-use posts

Second, my thoughts...

1. Great read about the Herron Hill Pumping Station, its architect, and its context within turn-of-the-century Pittsburgh. I've actually spent the morning reading that comprehensive history, instead of doing work While I like the idea of preserving old, industrial/civil architecture as often as possible, I guess I'm on the fence with this one. It definitely qualifies based on its history and importance, though like many city properties, it hasn't been maintained one bit... but I can't deny that it is a property worthy of designation. I'm wondering if historic designation could help spur a renovation and utilization of the large lot as a public park. Considering that this is an active and vital part of the city's water distribution system, it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

2. I do imagine that this nomination is grounded in working to preserve the remaining homes on that block of N. Dithridge. However, there is no arguing its uniqueness and presence in the neighborhood. I'd like to see this block left alone anyway, so I'm all for it.

3. The corrugated panels on the garage portion could end up looking pretty cool or pretty terrible. I agree with your points about the building's entrance on Smallman and its "back" on Penn. I understand the reasoning for its "front door" facing Smallman, since it will open to the new "tech hub" across the street, the produce terminal redev, and any future development, which is heavily focused on the area between Smallman and the riverfront. The plan for the loading dock along Penn is unfortunate, and maybe better suited to where it is currently along 15th.