View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 1:23 AM

Conservation Districts

What do you think would help tidy up some of Halifax’s conservation districts? I really want to see an effort into putting wiring underground (it’s especially bad in Schmidtville), installing historically inspired street lamps (particularly Old South Suburb), adding more benches, adding signage (especially for the Old South Suburb which has so many cool buildings associated with some big figures), and maybe sidewalk repairs similar to what’s taking place on Spring. I know this is planned, but I hope it comes sooner rather than later as it could really make these areas very attractive.

On a separate note, I’d really like to see the proposed Capital District include Spring Garden Road up until the new Library/Doyle, and extend down Grafton until the Nova Centre. There is some great architecture there that is really worth preserving. Also, the lower section of Spring needs a major updates to really show off St Mary’s, the old courthouse, the Dal architecture building, and even the old library/St Mary’s Boy’s School area. So much potential there. I will never fully understand not updating Spring Garden from Barrington to South Park.

I’d also really like to see some development infill in the Old South Suburb in the four-ish empty lots in that area. The Governor and Alexander were a big win, but there are still some eyesores. Particularly beside the pizza shop on Barrington, and beside Emera and across from Emera. Even to repurpose those spaces as public gardens would be a win. I still stand by my position that Morris House would be better placed in the Old South Suburb and that it was clearly an asset to the area. As the oldest wooden structure in Halifax, it could have brought a lot of attention to the area if properly cared for and displayed. A big shame that it’s in the North End empty.

The Old South Suburb is really a mixed bag of great masonry buildings, well-kept wooden structures, and some derelict buildings. A big difference could be made by updating the pizza shop and the corner building on Bishop and Hollis.

What would you like to see done for these areas reach their full potential?