View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
But I also continue to accrue anecdotal evidence:

A) As a doctor I am seeing countless 20 somethings who've moved back in with their parents after the pandemic

B) A lot of Universities are moving to online this fall

C) As a landlord in urban environments, I have had many tenants leave and move back in with their parents (even while paying rent), and am having a much tougher time filling my apartments despite rent decreases. Reasons often being given are ("I decided to find a place in the suburbs"). I wasn't getting that kind of explanation--like ever--in years past.

I think you are putting too much stock in the "people who don't think like you" explanation, no offense. Every single trend before my eyes points to a temporary blip in a preference for suburban living for the time being. I too hope it ends
I agree with those points. They are all anecdotes that I have also witnessed, as I mentioned earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I know people who have left the city to stay with their relatives in the suburbs or other cities, but I don't know people who intend to permanently settle in suburban NY because of the pandemic.
But I don't think these are permanent shifts in behavior (which I think we agree on), so I wouldn't call them "opportunities". These are temporary situations. I don't think the pandemic will lead to some mad scramble for real estate in suburban NY (or suburban anywhere?).