Thread: Old Halifax
View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That's interesting. I had seen that structure before in old photos but had no idea what it was for. It would be a nice little oddity to reconstruct.
Yeah, it was a pretty neat little find.

When I come across older images like this I actually find myself preferring the look of the fort in earlier days when there were cannon's lined up and footpaths everywhere - more authentic. I find it too "gussied up" these days. Don't get me wrong, I realize with the state of disrepair it was in and it's importance for tourism that it was absolutely necessary but I find that over the years it's lost some of it original "fort-ness".

Parks Canada has a pretty good 10 min. video on Youtube titled "The Restoration of the Halifax Citadel" that documents some of the repair work. Some of the shots show just how necessary the repairs/restoration was. What a cool project to have been part of, eh?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FERU-Q--14k

Actually, that brings a question to mind. Does anyone know if it's possible to volunteer for restoration projects? Is it possible to go in just as a grunt to help with tear down/moving debris/bringing new material onsite/etc??