View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 5:00 PM

People take good pictures because they are good photographers, not because they use SLRs.

For street photography - i.e. making candid, intimate photos of people in the street - generally SLR is not a good idea because it attracts a lot of attention. You just need a compact, fast camera with a wide to normal lens. And no high-powered telephoto lenses because it would make people seem too distant from the photographer, and vice versa.

I'm no good with street photography myself, by just my opinion looking other people's photos, I think street photography with telephoto lenses sucks.

But if by "street photography" you actually meant just city photos in general, like urban landscape, then I guess it doesn't really matter that much what you choose.

Since you want to take handheld and sharp night pictures you probably want a camera with good high ISO capability (low noise at high ISO). And/or a bright lens (low F-stop). Prime lenses tend to be the brightest (~F1.8).

You probably also want a camera with built-in image stabilization so you can use lower shutter speed without being affected with camera shake regardless of which lens you use.