View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Those buildings next to Hope Cottage were there not that long ago.
From the snippets of vehicles in the photos, I'd say these were taken in the mid-to-late 1960s. I don't personally recall when they were torn down, though.

Quote:
It's a fair argument that the public should get to see what the Robie/Carlton block proposals would look like together, I have tried to imagine that myself.
I think so too. That's why I stated it in my post from September that someone123 quoted partially. Of course we understand that that they are done by 2 different developers and thus they will not include another developer's project in their renderings, but that doesn't change the fact that the actual scope of both projects together is not apparent when viewing one rendering or the other. There's a similar case on Quinpool, where there are 3 or 4 large projects being proposed - on their own they are significant enough, but collectively they will really change the streetscape.

It would be nice if there were a way for the city to provide that kind of viewpoint, but it seems like something a little outside their usual scope. I'm not sure if other cities do that or not. That said, I'm sure it's not some kind of devious conspiracy designed to fool us all, it's just the way things are done at this point.

I do agree with those who say the project scale is reasonable for this part of the city, though I'd prefer to achieve the density with taller buildings and a smaller footprint, thus retaining more of the character of the original neighborhood.

I also agree that how it relates streetside is most important. I hope that at the pedestrian level there will be good quality materials and attractive architecture (yeah... I know they are difficult to quantify, but I think we all have a general idea on what that means, even if we don't agree on the details).