View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 8:30 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhome View Post
I have a question, and I do not intend to sound careless about the potential razing of the MC.

Much of the architectual argument in preserving the MC has been focused around uniqueness of the design (bowl inside of a glass box). If the MC were saved, and re-used (athletic center, commercial development, OMSI annex, etc.), then don't all those ideas potentially alter the facade or interior, thereby removing the very architectural components that make the building special?

I remember seeing rendering a long time ago for the MARC where the entire building was stripped and reclad...
It depends on what kinds of renovations are done to that building now, doesn't it? Take a look at what happened to Penn Station. New York has been looking at converting the old post office into the Moynihan Station, a replacement for the old Penn Station. Would this ruin the historic value of the existing post office? I doubt it.

Unused buildings end up as ruins, as they hold no value for anyone to maintain. MC has more value than simply the 'teacup in a box.' It is also greener to renovate it, while preserving what you can.

Anyways, this isn't exactly Fallingwater. Also, it is not on the historic landmarks list yet.