View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 8:23 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article
"What's killing Japan and threatening the economic future of Europe is that they don't have enough kids, and that's what's depriving these rural areas in America."
That's true. It's really kind of staggering to see how many older people inhabit Austin's suburbs. Just casual news clips from those places have a majority of older people, most over 50 or 60 years old appearing on the news. There was a news clip talking about some city council action in one of our suburbs (I forget which), and most of the city council was made up of older people. Most of the people sitting in the audience were older, like in their 70s and even 80s. I immediately wondered what all the young people are doing there? This area is where Dell, Inc. is based, so a lot of the young people there work at Dell. Still, I wondered why no interest at all from younger people, even some 30 year old people would be younger than most.

Anyway, this new trend of people not having kids anymore is happening in the US also. My brother and his wife have one son, and they say they're finished. My cousin has one daughter, he told his mom, "This is it, you're not getting any more grandchildren." He himself is an only child. Another cousin of mine is just now pregnant with her first child, she's gotta be about 35, and this might end up being her last. Many of my other cousins are all in their mid and late 20s, even into their mid-30s, and none have any children. I don't either. Even my oldest cousin who is almost 50 now only has one child. He's 100 percent German though. His parents only had two kids, and his sister also only had two kids. Two of my uncles also never had kids and likely won't since both are single and in their 60s.