Thread: Halifax Retail
View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
So, yeah, I think the debate is a little inane, but have been amused by it nonetheless. When you start arguing about silly things like this, it makes me wonder why that energy isn't put into something more useful. As it is, I'm sure people will want to shoot holes in my post, but it is what it is. I grew up there and feel I have a pretty good idea on how the city was considered by most folks. Yes, MMM was accessible by people living in the actual suburbs, by car, but so was downtown Halifax. Does that make downtown Halifax a suburban area as well??
Halifax overall has very few really "urban" feeling streetscapes. Downtown Halifax and Downtown Dartmouth, some bits of the north end, a few "main streets" here and there in specific old neighbourhoods.

Keep in mind this is a development forum, so discussing the nature of neighbourhoods in "urban areas" is hardly inane or silly. It's pretty key to what kind of place you want the city to develop into. Do you want more sprawling subdivisions that have no retail? Do you want more fine-grained mixed-commercial residential? Something in between? How do you balance walkability and drivability? Vibrancy and quiet enjoyment? It matters.