View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 4:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Was this the cluster from that funeral home? Somebody came back from travel and was at one point responsible for half NL's cases or something to that effect.
I remember reading about the same thing so I think that's probably the cause of the spike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I have to say, overall I'm pretty pleased with NS's response. Only 4-5 hospitalized cases and keeping new case rate relatively steady. My fear is that if it isn't stomped down by summer, everyone will be going stir crazy to get outside and we'll see a huge spike.
One thing that has changed is that test capacity has increased. NS was doing about 200 a day 2-3 weeks ago and these days it's able to do 600-800 per day. If this scales up to a few thousand a day it will be easier to test a larger number of people who have had relatively little exposure. By the summer we may have cheap do-it-yourself 15 minute test kits or something similar, which would change the dynamic dramatically.

NS new cases per day haven't really dropped by they haven't gone up much either and the number of active cases is growing slowly as more people recover. Hopefully it can get to the point where there are days with 0 new cases. This eventually happened in parts of China.

Still 0 deaths in the Maritimes and 1 in Atlantic Canada which makes it unlikely that there are a lot of unknown cases. NY is approaching 5,000 dead.

One aspect of this that people don't talk about is that a single ICU trip usually costs tens of thousands of dollars. So aside from the direct cost in suffering and death, there is a financial benefit to keeping people out of the hospital. Jurisdictions that minimize the number of cases may find they have a lot less debt by the time this is over.