View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 5:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Bane View Post
As a come from away who bought a home and other real estate in the north end some years back, I endured much ridicule from my 'local' peers having not bought in the 'south end'. My the times have changed! 'Peninsula' is the new 'south end' and eventually this too will change. As one who lives on the peninsula but often crosses the bridges to shop etc. due to better street infrastructure and ease of movement, this change may happen sooner than later.
I find the South End to be a mixed bag. A lot of it depends on what you include in what end of town but the areas south of South Street don't have a lot of services or convenient transportation connections and for now the gap is only growing. Consider how much south Queen or Inglis have improved compared to Gottingen or Agricola. Farther south toward Point Pleasant there are probably fewer shops than there were in the 70's and 80's as some convenience type stores have closed down over the years.

The deep South End is ground zero for NIMBYs and they are happy to limit development even if it means the area is so sparse that most people don't have shops and services within walking distance. Their ideal seems to be a detached Victorian house with 2 cars parked in front, with lots of recreational greenspace nearby. I see why this could be attractive from an individual or household perspective but I don't think it scales to the city level.