View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 2:38 PM
Nashwaaksissy

City moves ahead with convention complex
By HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN
mclaughlin.heather@dailygleaner.com
Published Tuesday August 28th, 2007
Appeared on page A1

Fredericton city councillors have officially charted a course to build an $80-million downtown convention centre, parking garage and office building with underground parking.

And the message from New Brunswick's capital city was that Ottawa can either pay its $8 million and be in the front row for the ribbon-cutting ceremony ... or not.

The project will go ahead with or without the federal government's help, city councillors said Monday night.

"We are going to do the project,'' said Mayor Brad Woodside. "Components allow us to do it in its entirety and design it in its entirety.

"It's a great decision for the City of Fredericton, for the businesses here. It will prove to be the right decision in the long run.''

Councillors voted behind closed doors to endorse the project months ago, but Monday night they awarded ADI Group the contract to design, engineer and build the facility with a tentative construction start date of June 2008.

Two city councillors have cold feet about the deal's financing and one voted against granting ADI the concession to build the Queen Street convention centre.

City finance committee chairman Dan Keenan is concerned about the lack of a funding commitment from the federal government.

"This is certainly a development that will be very beneficial to the city. I'm very supportive of the concept of building the convention centre. I think it's going to be transformational in that area of the city," Keenan said.

But Fredericton is already committed to $80-million worth of pools, rinks and other infrastructure repair work, and that's a lot on the city's plate, Keenan said.

"One of the key components of that plan is the federal funding to offset the cost of the convention centre. For that reason and that reason solely, I will be voting against this resolution. I don't have the comfort level to move forward ... to a commitment to build the facility," Keenan said.

Coun. Tommy Jellinek didn't vote against starting the design work, but he made clear that he, too, is reluctant to go ahead without federal cash.

"I personally do have certain reservations in trying to build it without federal funds," Jellinek said.

Councillors Stephen Kelly and Walter Brown, however, are championing the plan.

"With or without federal funding, this project is seen by the public as the most important project probably in our downtown in a generation," Kelly said.

While Ottawa should be given every chance to sign onto the deal, its lack of financial commitment shouldn't kill it.

Brown said the development is essential to grow downtown business, gain new tax revenues and support existing downtown businesses.

"Successful cities come from vibrant cities with vibrant downtowns. You cannot have one without the other," Brown said.

It's time Ottawa shook loose some of its $6.4-billion surplus and supported, not just Fredericton, but a number of Atlantic Canadian communities with downtown convention centre projects on tap, he said.

Woodside, meanwhile, plans to meet soon with Premier Shawn Graham to talk about $5 million in provincial government support already pledged.

"I'm not writing off the prime minister ... There is ample time, but the bottom line is we can't wait until next June and then make a decision. Council has made its decision, he said.