View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 4:16 AM

That is REALLY disappointing. This project is so appropriate for this site.

I worked an internship related to this project, attended both public information meetings and the reasoning against the project was the usual overblown NIMBYism. The project isn't tall and it blends in nicely with the existing houses and adjacent apartment building.

I recall one woman turned to me and voiced her concern that, because the church could not legally discriminate against who moved into the seniors residences, unsavoury characters like SINGLE MOTHERS might move into the neighbourhood. Via an old folks home.

Another person speaking against the project burst into tears at the podium for no particular reason.

At least in Toronto they have a strategy of adding midrise density along busier streets, and in those areas taller buildings flank areas of single-family homes without causing any sort of traffic issue or urban decay or whatever. The added density helps support local businesses and other amenities.

These NIMBYs are inadvertently making the traffic situation on the peninsula worse. Developers look at situations like this, think "why bother?" and throw up another apartment building in Clayton Park where everyone drives into town.

Then the city spends billions to widen highways and build new bridges and people wonder why their taxes are so high and other services are cut.

These protracted debates over seven storey buildings are so trivial...a building of this size is nothing, particularly with all the setbacks and the placement of the lowrise chapel. This project has an appropriate design, an admirable social aspect and it's an inventive way for the church to adapt to a shrinking congregation size...really a shame.

What options do they have now? Can they appeal?