View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
How is this biulding any different than all of the structures going up in Mission Bay/ SomA? Do you have the same feelings about those? I actually think these are less massed because of the open spaces and openess in the architecture instead of a block long 8 story building with no plaza or segmentation. The fact that these are all different colors or shapes will make it not oppressive but fun, visible, and modern.
What is all comes down to is the human scale and streete visibility, and this looks much more humane than what is there right now!
this is really not the same animal as mission bay or any other development model in sf. throughout most of mission bay and this (not that i think mission bay is particularly great) a project might consist of a tower or two combined with mid rise or low rise buildings. this is the model from the transbay d4d as well, and it's what is being built at the infinity, one rincon, etc. trinity looks to me like a pretty much incoherent collection of 15 to 24 story slabs on mission, market, and 8th. the sexy view from the 'plaza' which really an interior court doesn't do much to disguise endless facades of square windows.

that market street facade, for example, looks to be 275 feet long and about 140 feet tall - and that's just ONE of the 'towers' in this project - the shortest of them. i would challenge you to find a residential project that massive in san francisco. it's generally not allowed, and for good reason.

i realize that these buildings are in part massed this way because they are CHEAP (and there are significant cost and approval time issues with going past 240 feet). the city needs mid-market housing desperately, but not this desperately.

hopefully the renderings don't do it justice and the real thing will be less oppressive.