View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
There really is no rational reason for the lack of action going on between Temple and Fairmount Ave. The reality is that there has been less of a stigma about putting new housing in Fishtown/Kensington based on the demographics of that area in spite of the fact that there are lots of issues (litter, crime, drugs) in that area. At the end of the day I think that is the bottom line, even if it's never expressed as such. In spite of Temple and all the growth around the university there is still something about the moniker "north Philadelphia" that has led many market rate developers to avoid the area in spite of all the positives about it's location and transit access. Sure there is a lot going on between Fairmount and Girard, but remember they are very careful to rename any area that is being improved- so Francisville is never discussed as if it's part of North Philadelphia. Same for Fairmount and Brewerytown. Conversely, regardless of the specific neighborhood most people are comfortable identifying gentrifying areas of South Philly as South Philly.

The interior of what I'd call core-"Fishtown" is one of the cleanest and safest neighborhoods in greater Center City. I'm thinking essentially north of Girard, east of Frankford, south of York. You're hard pressed to find a piece of trash on the ground. I have many friends who live there and I'm often impressed by how little litter there is, especially compared to other "hot" neighborhoods.

As for crime, it's literally a non-concern. Maybe in East Kensington closer to the El and Old Richmond north of York and south of Aramingo, but Fishtown-proper? No way.