View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:41 AM
Recent Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Done wrong, or done wright, all cleaning methods remove the outer crust of the brick which is a result of the firing process during the bricks making.

Some results are horrible, others better. All results while leaving the brick cleaner, also leave the brick in a state altered from the original brick.

Either way, I don't think the cost of the cleaning would be recoverable through increased value of the house in a house flipping exercise.
Very true, FairHamilton; the main problem with brick cleaning (before OR after) is the cost. It is really expensive.

The cost CAN be recoverable... in London (UK), Vancouver (if you can find any brick houses left! Ha!), Toronto, etc.. anywhere where the housing prices are sky high.

Here in the Hammer, where things are quite reasonably (read: CHEAP!) priced, one cannot expect to throw in the cost + profit % into the asking price; houses do not have that large of a demand.......... yet.

Also, as raisethehammer was saying before, I'm pretty sure that house (East/Stinson) is a flipper; large crews in action shortly after possession date, contractor advertising and bidding war (it went for $5000 above the asking price within a war between 4 bidders). Those things usually point to a quick turnaround.

Regardless, it adds to my new neiboughhood and my new city. And that can't be all that bad.