View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Having tried and mostly failed to read the Centre Plan document that Council apparently approved without reading it as they were rushing out the door prior to the election I wonder why and how any developer would be able to follow the ridiculous processes they have laid out. The level of minuscule detail they demand is simply absurd, right down to the font choice and size on the required signs that they require posting on-site. I truly believe you are looking at decades if anyone is foolish enough (and is willing to spend a ton of money) to try to follow all of the arcane requirements it imposes.
As someone who occasionally works on planning applications to the city, Centre Plan is a vast improvement over what came before. Yes, there are many requirements, but the nice thing about requirements is that you can read them and figure them out. Previous to this it was a crapshoot as to who you would get as the planner on the file, how the winds of politics would shift, and what out-of-the-blue hurdle HRM would create for you to next jump. Sure, the old system benefitted a few developers who had the resources and bull-headedness to fight through the politics and bureaucracy and community opposition, but for everyone else it was an exercise in pulling your hair out.

I can much more easily take the time to figure out that the application sign needs 24pt Times New Roman font than have to go back to the drawing board because Community Council told us to knock three floors off the building.