View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Really appreciate the info!
You're welcome.

Quote:
I should have touched the leaves without gloves (will do that next time), Red Elm has a rougher texture (reminiscent of sandpaper) no?
Yes. With the caveat that American/White isn't always silky smooth; but Red always has the rough texture.

Quote:
This tree isn't the tallest in the area at all so maybe that's why it's stressed a bit and having a few resprouts. Elm likes to dominate the canopy, doesn't it? It won't grow as well under a canopy...?
Correct again. Elm, given a chance will be right up at the top.

Its definitely a sun-lover; and tends to appear more often at the edges of forests. But sometimes one sprouts because of an opening in the canopy, further in to a forest.

Quote:
I have pics of the younger one too, maybe you'll be able to draw further conclusions from it... the bark in that one pic looks healthy, right? They're very close to each other, wouldn't they both have DED if one does?
The young one has those lenticils (straight lines going across the bark) which really isn't that characteristic. If the leaves look identical, its probably the same tree as the larger one; though, since you didn't show the leaves on the smaller one, we debated as to whether it could be Ironwood, but settled on individual variation being the most likely answer.

Could also be a local variant for you, since my expertise in southern Ontario. Mostly same species; but a few hundred KM away can mean local quirks.

The young one isn't that likely to have DED yet, or at least be symptomatic, in my experience you don't see it super young elms. But certainly if its parent has it, and is nearby, its likely the younger one will as well, in time.

In general, elms with a distance of 20ft or less between them are considered at near 100% risk for spreading the disease, while elms greater than 40ft see a significant decrease.

Note that you can slow/stop the disease by removing diseased limbs, before it spreads.

This site is a decent resource:

https://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/disa.../DutchElm.aspx