View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

Reading up again on nice George Zobelein (1845-1936), I noticed these sentences:

"In 1869, 24-year-old George Zobelein arrived in Los Angeles from Bavaria and opened a grocery store at 6th and Spring streets. A year later, he married Brigida Alvarez Graf, a 23-year-old widow with two children who lived on a 350-acre ranch at 38th and Figueroa streets".
http://articles.latimes.com/1997/sep/07/local/me-29791

I wish I new what kind of ranch.

I'm assuming the ranch was north and east of Figueroa & 38th (going by the placement of the house), just across from Agricultural Park (later Exposition Park). Mr Zobelein (but not Brigda, she died in 1912) would have had a ringside view of the replanted Arcade Palm and may have witnessed the replanting itself (I do wish there was a photo of that).
My follow-up post included this stitching together of four Baist maps to show the extent of the Zobelein property in 1921, along with a few other details. The property is also labeled with George Zobelein's name on the 1914 Baist map, but there's no name there on the 1910 map, and the area below 38th Street is just labeled "Grand Ave & Figueroa Tract" (no "Zobelein's").