View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I completely forgot about that - but that helps my suggested route. Most of the businesses along SGR would probably hate having a streetcar out front (because of their obsession with parking). Since there aren't that many businesses along Morris, it wouldn't be such a problem. Plus it's only a 2 block walk.

With Hollis and Lower Water - most businesses along there expect people to park on the street or in parking lots because those streets are limited in on street parking. I think you could keep the on street parking in some parts and then build the stop platform on the same side so that the SC would run in one of the lanes of traffic - thus eliminating the need for removing on street parking.
The two-block walk is not a huge deal if you think of it in pure terms. Unfortunately, that two blocks could put a serious dent in SGR. Much of the success with streetcars, as they relate to businesses and urban development, is that the commuter/travelling public is pretty much guaranteed to be hanging around on the street waiting for the next train. My fear would be that a streetcar elsewhere would suck life away from SGR. Maybe in the long term that would be OK, because a new shopping strip would probably develop along the new line, but the growing pains would be difficult, and there would be much gnashing of teeth about the death of SGR.

I say stuff the parking two blocks away.