View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 3:59 AM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I challenge that. I grew up in Washington DC and lived for 4 years in Durham, NC which also has a little elevation. Then I moved to Florida: first Gainesville, then Orlando and Ormond Beach. Of them all, Washington has the worst climate. But Florida, even inland in Orlando and Gainesville, was not as hot or oppressive as up in the "deep south" states not surrounded by water. Ormond, in fact, rarely got out of the 80's on summer days. Orlando and Gainesville often did--maybe 92 but they didn't seem as bad as the Carolinas and Georgia to me (and most days there were afternoon thinder storms to cool things off).

Anyway, in SF we complain of a heat wave when it gets over 70. That's my kind of place.

BT, it's not really something that can be "challenged". It's not my opinion, I'm talking climate stats. I didn't say "Georgia", I said "Atlanta", which, as I pointed out, is in the Piedmont of the Appalachians (most of Georgia is not). Ironically, you picked two Florida locales, Orlando and Gainesville, which have far more stifling summers than Atlanta. You're missing the critical distinction of Atlanta's elevation, which moderates its climate relative to most (not all) of the rest of the deep south. On top of that, the humidity of Orlando and Gainesville is higher than that of Atlanta.

Weather stats: Daily average highs, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept

Orlando: 91/92/92/90
Gainesille FL 90/91/90/87
Atlanta 87/89/88/82