View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 10:31 PM
Honored Member

[Halifax] 22nd Commerce Square | 85 & 85 M | 24 & 20 fl | On Hold

Since no one has started a thread for this one yet, I will start one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Yup, here are the pictures. Merrill Lynch building intact.

(all pictures from - http://bit.ly/1b9xDI3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
That has got to be one of the worst looking proposals I've seen in awhile. Way too many things going on - and the Merrill Lynch building looks super out of place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
That's great that they've saved and worked around Merril Lynch (anything else would be unacceptable, especially considering how amazing the interior of the building is).

But the facade treatment of all the other (designated heritage) buildings is crap. No setback or anything. No way that should be allowed for the Champlain Building--take away the profile and you take away half the aesthetic value. An old wall stapled to a glass front--the most ridiculous facadism possible, and a direct contrast to the decent Sackville proposal. (This is basically what I'm afraid will happen to the Dennis Building. Take a brick wall and stick it in front of a sheer wall of glass and say you've "preserved" the building.)

Otherwise, the massing and everything else sucks. It's a super fugly design. Better than the proposal from years ago, but still way over-busy and weird looking, and not in a good way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
It's way too busy...the different treatments really isn't that great. Some consistency and simplicity can go a long way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I really like it. I like the contrasts and yet it is tied together by various materials. I also like how the 2 towers are joined, looks like a hole in the building, reminds me of Miami. There is so much to the design to make it very different than any other building in town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I thought Brutalism went out of style in the 1970s?

Don't like it much.