View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 12:57 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Someone and Worldly hit the nail on the head in my opinion. Another interesting fact I read the other day: Halifax has the highest tree count per capita in Canada. That's pretty green.

There are times I have to just face-palm at my generation. We learn about a cause that is "just" by all accounts (environmentalism, Occupy Wall Street, that stupid Kony 2012 thing), and then blindly hop on board without considering context. I specify my generation (I'm 23 as of yesterday) because I find we are the largest perpetrators of this phenomenon. Why preach for more green spaces in Halifax (as this article is apparently doing... a park in the Convention Centre lot, wtf?) when Halifax is already one of the greenest cities around and its largest environmental issue is arguably urban sprawl? Why protest the "super-rich" in St. John's, as Occupy was doing last year, when Newfoundland and Labrador has less than 2000 people making over $250,000 a year (a very, very small number of "super rich", and $250,000 isn't even super-rich in my opinion).

When I see people preaching in the name of the environment, its largely in an anti-development context, and it drives me nuts. The effect humans have on our planet is an issue, don't get me wrong, but god damn there are an absurd number of extreme people out there who think environment is the only issue that needs to be addressed, and developers are evil for making decisions based on profit. It blows my mind.

Last edited by Copes; Jul 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM.