View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 5:39 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Have you been in contact with the Atlantic Schooners group?

http://www.atlanticschooners.com/about-us.html

At the time, it was proposed to rebuild the existing stadium at Beasley Field Dartmouth (2000+ seats increase to 20,000 ) for the Schooners. Not an ideal location and access is limited but a stadium was seriously considered for that site.
I had heard that they were still active at Grey Cup games. Thanks for the link to their website. Their website looks very good. I will send an email to them with a link to the skyscraperpage thread. The Advocates of an HRM Stadium need a website like this.

In order to get a stadium built there will have to be overwhelming support from the community otherwise it is easy for the people in power to ignore it. (I am thinking about the type of support that the Roughriders have in Saskatchewan). So the more people involved the better.

Is it possible for people to attend HRM council meetings and raise issues with the council? I am not talking about causing a disruption but simply let them know that there are people interested. How come Halifax is at a "request for proposals" stage of a library but not a stadium. Apparently there are people in council who made it their objective to have the library built. I just wonder if there are that many more people interested in going to a library than going to a stadium, or is it just that there are councilors who will promote a library but oppose a stadium? Don't get me wrong, I am all for a new library but where is the support for the sports fans in the Halifax area? Is it just a lack of sports fans on the HRM council? We aren't talking about solving world hunger here. So this may not seem like an important issue. However, recreation and sports are an important part of the quality of life in a city. And also, I think that a stadium and CFL team will bring just as many people to the city as a convention centre. Both are important in promoting the city. This will be important to the Halifax area in attracting people to the city and retaining them.

In the next 30 years I expect Halifax to go from a medium size city to a large city of 600,000 - 700,000. That is a growth rate of 1.5% a year which is just steady growth similar to what the HRM is currently experiencing. So it would be a good idea to start gaining the amenities expected to be found in a large city.

Last edited by fenwick16; Nov 27, 2009 at 7:05 PM.