View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 5:12 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZulu View Post
I have been following this thread for a while and would love to see a stadium built in Halifax. I think it is the most realistic expectation Halifax has of getting pro sports and wouldbe huge to give truly a coast to coast league.

I think that the stadium has to be on the peninsula, and reasonable close to downtown ie walking distance.

This would mitigate the traffic issues as many would arrive early to go to local pubs and restaurants, and many would sick around after the game for a bite to eat or some refreshments. Nothing would be worse in my opinion than walking out of a stadium only to be in the middle of nowhere.

I think the best case scenario is to use the current field at SMU as a starting point, obviously the stadium there needs replacement, and cost sharing with the university would be a good way to get a portion of the funds. I think it is reasonable to put the stadium there, it may require the removal of the gym building but perhaps that could be redevelopped either elsewhere or incorporated with the stadium somehow.

My other though with regards to location is across the road from pier 21, there re currently some buildings there, but it looks like there might be enough space if they were removed.
I thinks that is all (sorry for the book maybe I should have been posting instead of saving it all up)
Please keep posting BravoZulu. In order for Halifax to get a stadium the silent proponents of a stadium must become more vocal than the naysayers. I agree with all your points and it is too bad that the SMU stadium is so confined since they seem to be interested in refurbishing their stadium..