View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2008, 5:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
Thank you for insulting every person who is working on the Union Station project. Yes, I'm sure none of them give "two shits" about any of it. They're all just mindless bureaucrats sitting behind their desks jerking off and gleefully joking with each other about how fun it is to screw the citizens and waste the public treasury. I bet right now they're plotting their next "unfortunate delay" in the project that will extend the project schedule another few years and add a couple hundred million dollars to the project budget.

Or, perhaps they are people like me (although I'm not contractually involved in any aspect of the DUS project) who are passionate about urban planning and development and who are trying to do the best they can with an incredibly exciting yet challenging project that was underfunded from the get-go by a couple hundred million dollars and that then experienced unprecedented construction cost increases and unexpected rulings from government agencies that created a massively complex engineering/financial puzzle that was finally solved only a few months ago and is now working toward actual design and construction, pending, of course, all of the necessary local, state, and federal regulatory hurdles that need to be addressed, public involvement expectations, pressures from labor and other special interest groups, a national recession, uncertain real estate markets, and fucked-up financial markets.
I develop real estate, not on a large commercial scale, but well enough to know that things just arent supposed to move this slowly. I'm sure the project is being done by guys just like you, students and professionals of urban planning design; not financiers who are looking out for their pockets and need the project done on time. It's fun to do impact studies and whatnot but I'd like to see a study done on the public cost and impact of the time that all of these impact studies take

The only thing I'm not sure about is how much of this delay is a result of the federal funding deal.