View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 6:18 PM
still the big cheese

It's a bit different >> It's Moshi/Kilimanjaro region, Tanzania

I went to Tanzania not like other tourists, but to learn about HIV/AIDS by talking to people, doctors, visiting schools and hospitals (overcrowded ones that looked somewhat like alcatraz). What we didn't really expect was that the locals would see us in a different way.
To them we were like knights in shining armors coming to rescue them from the dragons, which of course made it very hard for us, since we weren't trained, nor had any miracle creams against the diseases.
During the time we met people that either didn't know what a condom was or thought it was a sin to use them, because their priest had told them so (and that it was written in the bible). We also met witch doctors who used flowers as a cure for HIV as well as people who tought (or wanted to believe) it didn't excisted at all. Some blamed us for spreading worrying information, information that would make people die out of worry and so on...

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

our pilot heading home...

A Marabou stork sitting in a tree next to my little house. Thought my little roof would brake everytime one of them landed on it. Nasty creatures.

Mount Mawenzi, a sister peak to Kilimanjaro (Kibu) seen from Moshi. One morning we actually saw snow on it. It had snowed during the night, during the hottest time of the year.

Chemistry lesson. Of course there are no books so the teacher has to tell her pupils everything worth knowing.

Kilimanjaro

Boogie dog?

on the back of a pickup truck

construction site

A waterfall of crap! People just litter everywhere. This was once drinking water for both people and animal. Now it's due to different chemicals, poisonous

All cloths we give away are sent down to Africa and then sold (not given away) making the poorest people without cloths. The local industries can't compete with our used socks and knickers and have to close due to what we believe is a good thing

We bought all her bananas

Lake Manyara

also had time for a 2-days safari

Ngorongoro crater, an old vulcano crater at a high altitude filled with life. It's a bit tricky to reach it though. First one have to climb up the vulcano (2000m above sea level) and then one have to climb down the crater. Very interesting journey. The crater was really really dry but the slopes when climbing up to the crater was jungle-like.

wildbeasts

simba!

Hippos

Masai football. Never play it barefoot! (which I of course did)

Mount Meru

Mount Kilimanjaro

Thx for watching