View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
I'm more surprised because of the reputation than because of personal experience. Not to single Bedford_DJ out, but his post on the first page speaks to that sections reputation as a busy highway:

I know it's one person's guess in this case, but it's a common misconception, and to have it guessed as busier than both 101 and 103 with their own reputations speaks volumes. I knew it wouldn't be the busiest, but I expected it to be busier is what I guess I'm saying.
I should probably clarify why it seems busy when really its not.

The 104 is of course part of the Trans-Canada system so it is mainly used by out-of-province tourists and is especially busy in the summer with it being peak tourist season and Cumberland County being cottage-country.

Since many vacationers and tourists travel during the same hours (daytime on weekends, evenings on weekdays) the highway gets cramped easily especially through Folly Mountain where trucks slow the line down. The effect of having trucks climbing steep hills is what causes the crowdedness before the tollbooths and becuase of the equally steep declines afterwards it also explains why there is no line-ups after the tollbooth.

When I posted that list on the first page I probably was only thinking of the times that I'm usually on the highway and not at the fact that at night the road is empty except for tractor trailers.

The fact that almost nobody uses the road in the winter further drops the average to very low levels.