View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 7:15 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
The current art building and art annex at this location are pretty decrepit. Quite a few windowless rooms and some that smell like an old gym bag for some reason. It will be nice for future PSU art students to have some better facilities.

The art program at PSU is a joke. Classes are mostly taught by part time adjuncts, even constructive critical feedback is generally withheld to avoid making students feel "unsafe", art & design principles are chided as being white supremacist, and in general the focus is on student retention as opposed to education.

But at least students won't also have to endure crusty old facilities while paying $1300 a class to have someone blow smoke up their ass for 11 weeks.
I'm guessing not much has changed with the arts program at PSU, it was pretty bad when I was there years ago in the architecture department. The buying of the building that is the arts department now is something I felt PSU did for a placeholder to stick the arts department and sit on land that they will eventually redevelop.

It would be nice to see some serious reinvesting in their arts program to put together something that is a better reflection of the city. Obviously I don't have any connections to the arts department, so I can't speak for any changes that they have done or have coming, but it would be nice to see that program be much better than it has been.