View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 1:59 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
No, the angle does not do it justice. It is still under construction. It will be 45,000 seats expandable by at least 10,000 more. However, it will be in the rotation with Alabama's Bryant Denny stadium and Auburn's Jordan Hare stadium for the Alabama High School Football Championship games starting in 2021 and it will host the Birmingham Bowl game and it will be the home to UAB Blazer FBS football team. It would be great to have a Jerry Jones or Arthur Blank to pull out of pocket a billion dollars or so for something awesome as the AT&T or Mercedes but this will fit Birmingham just fine.
Excellent way of putting it, blazer. This stadium is very much a product of right-sizing. At the moment, Birmingham simply does not need a stadium with greater than 40-50,000 seats. I'm not super optimistic that the city will need more than 40-50,000 seat within the next few decades, the stadium has room for permenant expansion.

There aren't many mid-sized cities (that I know of) building new stadia. The fact that Birmingham is building this facility is proof that city and local businesses are confident the region will benefit from it. Of all the things Larry Langford did, I think the CrossPlex was one of his best ideas and it attracts plenty of events. I don't feel all that cynical about event prospects for this stadium.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State