View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 5:24 AM

From the parcel map I think 2203 Rogers Avenue must have been swallowed up by the NE corner lot currently numbered 720 S Chicago. From that map and Google it appears there are now four separately standing bungalows, all built in the late 1910s and one or two dwelling units each. This would explain why 2203 no longer exists and also why the next house on Rogers Ave -- the "house behind the house"--is 2215 when we would otherwise expect a smaller "jump" in the house numbering. At least as far back as 1909, from that year's city directory, this has always been the 2200 block of Rogers Avenue, so there wasn't any renumbering.

A build date of 1901 is given so it all fits. I am surprised, however, that the square footage is listed as 1820. I'm lousy at estimating the square footage of a house from looking at its picture, but I did think it would be roomier inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post
Yes. I see it now. I was looking on the wrong side of the street. Here's a shot of the "house behind the house" identifiable by the diamond shaped attic vents.
That's a nice looking Craftsman but it can't be too much older than the Victorian. 20 years max. maybe.
Seems a shame since in the photo, the featured house looks brand new without even proper landscaping yet. The people were obviously proud of it.

ETA.
I just noticed the vacant lot next to the Victorian between the two houses in the photo. The Craftsman could have been built at any time after they became fashionable.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.