View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I have also heard this occasionally and increasingly as a contrast to "Latin America" but still far more often than not, it is used to describe the actual landmass and its associated countries and territories; Panama up to Greenland as well as the Caribbean.

People in Spanish speaking countries (Brazil too I think) are taught that North and South America are a singular continent rather than two separate continents.
If describing geological forms and geographic landmasses, then Mexico and Central America are part of North America. And as you say for some parts of the world it’s simply “the Americas”.

If one is talking about cultural regions or in economic terms, then the US and Canada are in one grouping and Latin America is the other. Big companies, for instance, that run their business along some geographical split will have a “North American” division in the US and Canada and manage Latin America, including Mexico, separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
I will repeat no one considers North America just Canada and the U.S.
I think it's ludicrous that you insist that a large group of people think that
I think you are ignorant.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov