View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Love the idea... how realistic is this grant?
No idea. Past projects have certainly received a lot of cash despite being in much less depressed areas than this project, so you have to think this project gets SOMETHING. But who knows, especially with all the uncertainty surrounding the congressional budget and the terrifying proposal put forth by the executive branch, may mean that the state is less willing to put forth any type of money at the moment.

That said, as I mentioned in the last thread I don't think this is as much of a stumbling as it could be for other projects. Reading the article it seems that funding is already in place for nearly 90% of the project. I'm sure funding could be secured for the remaining 20 million if state funding fell through, especially considering this developer is so deep pocketed, they dropped 7 million just purely on speculative research on the viability and design of the project.

Considering they've already purchased the land and spent 7 million on research, it seems hard to believe they'd let this all fall apart around a sum of money that represents such a small percentage of the entire project and only about twice what they've spent already just on research and land acquisition.

Obviously the more money they get, the more profitable this project becomes, so if they get nothing, that may change the calculus on this just enough that they walk away. But again, I have to imagine they get SOMETHING and once they get that, I can't imagine the sum left over will be large enough for them to walk away from something they've already spent a lot of time and money on.