View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The Fortis Building in downtown St. John's is also to be reclad, I believe. And if ANYONE KNOWS what they're doing to that TD Building, PLEASE tell me. What a mess that site is. It reminds me of Bridge over the Drina, by Ivo Andric (he won the Nobel Prize for Literature for it). In one passage he's describing how the Slavic townsfolk in this little Bosnian town reacted to the construction of a giant, Ottoman bridge in the 1500s. And the part that made me laugh was his description of all the scaffolding that went up, the dust, the noise, etc. And he ends this pages-long description of the construction site with, more or less, "And this mess that arose on both banks of the Drina river looked, to the townsfolk, like anything they could imagine. But not a bridge."
They're replacing the brick on the building. Once done it'll be closer to a grey brick than the current red/brown. Whether or not it'll look better than it does now will remain to be seen, but the color will somewhat match up with the attached 4-storey building to the west which has recently been painted to match the TD Place reclad. Once that's done, as well as the new fortis office building, fortis will reclad its old office though I do have to admit that I do like their current office, if they could place windows and detail along the west side so it wasn't just concrete it would be much better.