View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzeppelin View Post
I grew up in the Pocatello area, but admit to being a little out of touch with the current state of things. Regarding the hospital, Pocatello has spent most of the past 30 years with 2 competing hospitals that eventually merged under a common management umbrella. They finally decided to consolidate operations at the site of the newer hospital, and are expanding the facilities there significantly. I think that ISU is taking over the old hospital building, but I don't remember the intended use.

The city has had some ups and downs in recent years, and a lot of the infrastructure is aging. I would love to see some major revitalization happen. My friends who still live there always seem pessimistic when I ask them about "things in Pocatello." For most of the 20th century the fortunes of Pocatello were closely tied to the large Union Pacific operations there. The number of railroad jobs have dropped dramatically over the years, but the city is forever split in half by the rail yards. The old downtown area is wedged between mountains on the west and rail yards on the east, while virtually all new development since about 1950 is to the east of the rail yards. With the downsizing of their operations, I would love to see UP open up some of that land to new development to would bring the two sides of the city closer together. I think that alone could do a lot to help the city.
I was in Pocatello for a couple days for work recently, and I see so much potential with the old downtown area. There are already some cool, funky shops and restaurants.

Oh, and I had to stuff my face at Buddy's Italian restaurant. Damn I forget how good that place is!