View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 7:30 PM

We need to stop calling MetroRapid Bus Rapid Transit. Close examination of this system can only lead someone to realize it is really just big Express buses. If anything, calling it BRT might hurt the perception of actual BRT in the minds of Austin voters if and when it is actually proposed.

If you guys want to see an amazing video of what BRT actually is and what is possible when a community is actually willing to invest in it's future, check out this video:
http://blog.newtransportation.org/20...sit-video.html

And before anyone says this wouldn't work here or that there isn't enough room...Bogata is a much much denser city. I am not saying we need this system. But, considering what our opinion of ourselves is in this country and in this city, it is almost tragic that we can't get anything close to this accomplished here.

Oh and SAM, I have't bought any of the stuff M1EK has said against you. However, if you want to insinuate that the Drag has light traffic (by claiming you can get through it in just 5 minutes), then maybe I should take what he is saying more seriously. I can get through in five minutes too, if I decide to go through at 2AM. Now during rush hour, we all know its a parking lot and to claim otherwise is ridiculous. I do have one question though: What if you routed the buses through West Campus, say Rio Grande? You could adjust the 40 Acres route so that there would be a bus there waiting to take people to campus from the Rio Grande. There are already buses that run through West Campus, so I feel that this might be an option. I know there are probably things I am not thinking about, and there is bound to be some opposition, but this might be able to solve a definite Achilles's Heel in this express bus route.